This pamphlet is the first of three in the Your Choice series. It contains information on the screening and monitoring procedures that are now being undertaken during pregnancy. Some of these procedures have been part of maternity care for decades despite a lack of evidence that they offer any benefits to either the mother of the baby. The pamphlet provides information on what these screening tests are and the benefits and risks of the following tests and screening procedures:
- First blood tests (maternal serum screening)
- HIV/AIDS test
- Blood pressure monitoring
- Midstream urine test
- Weight checks and BMI assessments
- Ultrasound scans
- Screening for Down syndrome and other conditions
- Polycose and Oral Glucose Tolerance Tests (GTT)
- Smoking Assessment
- Screening for Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse
It is important that the midwife or doctor explains the screening tests and procedures that are offered. None of them are compulsory and you can choose whether or not to have any of these tests.
Single copies of Screening during Pregnancy: Your Choice are available free of charge. There is a charge for postage/handling costs for all orders of multiple copies.