The Maternity Services Consumer Council is a consumer organisation
that promotes the rights of women throughout the birthing cycle. We believe that birth is a normal life cycle event. We oppose the unnecessary medicalisation of childbirth. This website contains information on how maternity care is provided in New Zealand and the options available to women.
The MSCC provides a wide range of information on topics and current issues relating to the maternity services in New Zealand. We distribute leaflets covering topics relating to maternity care and a woman’s options throughout the childbirth cycle.
We advocate for women and families, encouraging them to participate in all decisions relating to their pregnancy, birth and parenting options. We believe all women and their partners, families and support people should be informed and included in decisions relating to their care.
Here at Maternity Services Consumer Council we provide a variety of services within the Maternity sector including:
- Information on maternity services to individuals and other community groups.
- Access to our comprehensive information files and historical maternity information for school,midwifery, nursing students and interested individuals.
- A quarterly newsletter sent out to individuals, interested parties, consumer groups and available ondemand on our website. The newsletter features articles on a range of controversialissues.
- MSCC researches and produces articles on maternity topics as well as highlighting international andnational studies on maternity care
- Consumer representatives for health committees and working parties at both a local and nationallevel within the maternity sector.
Our evidence based, bias free resource series for pregnant women and maternity providers. The series is split into two categories, The Facts and Your Choices. With new resources being developed consistently and revision being undertaken when needed. A single copy of these resources is available to all consumers free of charge, for bulk orders please go to our shop. Please note our induction and caesarean section resources are currently unavailable while they are updated. Thank you for your patience.